Unify 1.3 - Batch Operation and DiscoverStation not playing all midi notes in a file.
Hi Shane ... Please may I have your assistance to figure out a couple of issues? ... 🙂
For your information, I have upgraded to Unify 1.3 for Windows and I my DAW is Ableton Live Suite 10. A couple of days ago I installed Unify 1.3 and the DiscoverStation.guru using WinZip. Then, recalling there maybe problems with WinZip, so I reinstalled again using 7-Zip. Both these installations revealed the following issues:
1) The 'Update Multiple Patches' process fails after completing the first patch with a message "cannot save over .upf".
2) To play with DiscoverStation I loaded a project that requires a Tube and found it will only play the first notes and not the following notes in a midi file. To demonstrate this issue I have attached an Ableton file with the same midi file being played by "Brass - Tuba Long DS" and "Bass - Airwave Dance 01" trialling both the Vst2 and Vst3 plugins. The midi file is played successfully by the Bass patch but only the first note in the Brass patch sound.
Thank you for your assistance.
- Yes, Unify will not allow saving over .upf patches. Can I ask which library you are trying to process, and why? There should be no need to run the batch resave process with DiscoverStation/CoreStation. Maybe I'm missing something?
- You need to understand that all of the BBC Symphony Orchestra instruments have a specific note-range; they will not play notes that cannot be played on the original instrument. The tuba only sounds up to E above middle C.
BTW you didn't attach any files, but I don't own Ableton Live, so I wouldn't be able to use them anyway.
Hi Shane ... thank you for your quick response ... I only have DiscoverStation not Core ... so I think you are saying there is nothing for me to batch update ... Okay, the reason I tried the batch update on my whole library is because in the past I experienced the 'not finding samples' problem when using my Kontakt Unify libraries.
I have attached the midi file ... please use it to play the Tuba patch in your DAW ... I cannot understand why the first notes sound but not the following notes ... yet the midi works fine in a Bass patch.
Something in your MIDI file is confusing the BBCSO plug-in. Specifically, right at the start of bar 7 there is a CC11 (expression) message with value 0. This seems to cut off the sound. All I know is, if I put a MIDI Filter instance before BBCSO, and use one of the buttons at the bottom to filter out CC11 entirely, your file plays fine. I have attached a listing of your MIDI file's contents; on line 45 I added a note indicating what I think is the problem CC message.
So the root of the issue appears to be the BBCSO plug-in, not Unify. I can't even guess why BBCSO responds in this way, when there is a similar CC11 message earlier on. This may be an issue to take up with Spitfire Audio.
When I tested using your MIDI file in MIDIBox this morning, I noticed some strange behavior, which I am investigating. However, since you say your problem arises using the MIDI file directly in your DAW (without MIDIBox), this is probably unrelated.
Thank you, Shane ... your analysis is most informative, I love the way you isolate the problem and then provide a solution ... as an owner of PluginGuru products since 2013 and an avid early supporter of Unify I reckon you and John are amazing ... all the best ... Paddy