Notifications
Clear all

Some MIDI FX plugins don’t receive or transmit midi as a Unify MIDI Effect

eakwarren
(@eakwarren)
Topic starter  

Hi @getdunne, I posted this over at Scaler's forum, but thought I'd reference here as well since I'm not entirely sure it's a Scaler issue. Feel free to delete if you'd prefer to respond in their forum. 🙂 

Scaler inserted as a MIDI Effect to Unify (standalone) v1.4.0 doesn’t seem to receive or output midi.

For example, when I press Record and play my keyboard so Scaler can detect a scale, I see midi in Unify’s MIDI Monitor just before the Scaler instance. But Scaler isn’t recognizing the midi. Also, if I select a scale in Scaler and use my mouse to play Em, there’s no midi output to the second MIDI Monitor in the signal path. Only when I bypass Scaler does midi pass thru.

I hope the attached screenshots make sense. Other MIDI Effect plugins work, although there are a couple third-party ones that seem to have the same issue. (Obelisk 1.1.6 AU, and Phrasebox 1.0.7 AU.) Running Big Sur 11.2.3.

Thanks!

getdunne
(@getdunne)
Member Admin

@eakwarren

My first thought is that you may need to load a preset in Scaler 2, or it won't do anything with incoming MIDI.

Another possibility is to try VST versions of problematic MIDI plug-ins, rather than VST3, if possible.

ReplyQuote
eakwarren
(@eakwarren)
Topic starter  

@getdunne Thanks for the quick reply Shane. I'm loading Scaler as a MIDI Effect before the BBCSO, so I'm clicking on the brown + in the layer, which only shows AU-based MIDI Effects for me, not any VSTs. I checked the known plugins in Unify and confirm the name is "ScalerControl 2", which is an AU MidiEffects.

Scaler AU/VST works as an instrument, but then I'm not able to load BBCSO. 😕 

ReplyQuote
getdunne
(@getdunne)
Member Admin

@eakwarren

I've just checked on my Mac, and I get the same result with the AU ScalerControl2 plug-in, but the VST Scaler2 plug-in seems to work. I'll look into why the AU might not be working, but in the meantime, you should be able to use the VST version as follows.

Because the VST standard can only distinguish "instruments" and "effects", Unify can't tell automatically that Scaler2 should be available as a MIDI effect. To work around this, you must add the Scaler2 VST to one of your MIDI-effect subsets; see https://pluginguru.net/unify/manual/doku.php?id=plugin-subsets.

1. Open plug-in subsets view in Unify
  2. Select MIDI effects at top left
  3. Click on "My MIDI Effects.xml"
    • The contents should appear in the right column
  4. Enter "Scaler" in the Search bar at top center
  5. Find "Scaler2" (it will say "inst") and click once to select it
  6. Click "Add selected" at bottom center
    • A new entry for Scaler2 should appear in the right column
  7. Click "Save" at top right
    • DO NOT FORGET THIS STEP, or the subset won't get updated

You should now be able to return to the layer-stack view and add Scaler2 into a MIDI-effect slot via the "My MIDI Effects" sub-menu.

ReplyQuote
eakwarren
(@eakwarren)
Topic starter  

@getdunne, Thanks Shane. That worked. I now have the VST version of Scaler 2 loaded as a MIDI Effect. 😎 

ReplyQuote
Share: