How to move Unify from one computer to another
I've searched for this in the forums and manual, but haven't yet found instructions.
I'm moving Unify from one computer to another. Is there some guidance on this so I don't have to reinstall all of the libraries and authorize them manually?
Figured it out. For anyone else needing to do this, here are the steps I did, and a suggestion around the data folder.
FIRST: If you just use the default data folder (Unify, Settings, Data folder), you'll need to copy that entire folder to the new computer after installing Unify. Might work to copy it before installing Unify, but not sure.
To have your favourites, patches, and libraries automatically and always cloud-synced move this folder into your Microsoft OneDrive (or Google Drive or whatever) folder. This is great because as soon as you modify and save a patch, or favourite a patch, that's synced offsite and depending on the solution, you get file versioning. So if you overwrote a patch by accident, even days later you could restore a previous version of that patch. You can also technically use this to access the same patches on two computers.
NOTE: If using it in this way simultaneously (i.e. Unify on 2 computers at the same time, sharing one synced cloud folder) I suspect you might run into database file sync conflicts, though if you make no changes you're probably fine. Best to contact support if you need to do this.
- Install Unify on your new computer and open it.
- Activate it with your serial number (if you need a refreshed activation email support; they're very quick to do this).
- Don't need to download or install factory patches. Simply cancel that dialogue and go to settings.
- Change your Data Folder to the same one you were using on the old computer (in my case this is my OneDrive\Unify folder) and close Unify.
- Re-open Unify and all your libraries, favourites, etc. should show up.
You will have to manually put in the paths to find your VST files; I don't know how to transfer those settings but that's relatively quick to set up.