Notifications
Clear all

One last strange question for 2021 | Triggering Audio file (BGVs) 😎

praisetracks
(@praisetracks)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

So, I have this idea to have UNIFY jamming away per usual, until we get to the Chorus and then that is where my backup singers come in.
Since this is something nonlinear and triggered live, I was wondering if there would be a way to use Gurusampler to playback a pre-recorded audio file of the BGVs.

I did a quick forum search but could not come up with an answer, so here you go.

On a different note, I want to wish John, Shane, Taylor, and all of GuruNation a most blessed and Happy New Year, we could really use one!

Joyfully!

Simeon Amburgey
https://www.youtube.com/praisetracks

mj_prod liked
Topic Tags
praisetracks
(@praisetracks)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

OK, I just found some info on Audio File Player, which is getting closer, but not quite it seems.

So since the audio is not a loop or continuous audio, I would love to have the option just to have the audio loaded there and assign a specific note (possibly on another device) to serve as the trigger note to only play at a specific time.

Once you triggered it, it would play to the end and reset and wait to be triggered again.
lt would also be cool if you accidentally hit it to early you could retrigger it to try and get it in sync.

Simeon Amburgey

ReplyQuote
getdunne
(@getdunne)
Member Admin

@praisetracks

I've set up a patch which I think does what you're asking; see attached screenshot.

I started with a BPM DRUM patch, chosen more or less at random. The Unify Transport is visible at the bottom of the screenshot, showing how this patch runs the drums while any keys are pressed. (This isn't very important; the setup for the audio file would work even if it were set for e.g. latching. The important aspect is that I want to be able to start/stop the audio playback even while the Transport is running.)

I then added a new INST layer, added an Audio File Player instance, and selected an audio file. For the screenshot, I dragged the Audio File Player window over the bottom of the Unify GUI, so you could see that I have left the trigger mode at the default MIDI start/stop setting, so the file plays when the plug-in receives any MIDI note-on, and stops when it receives the last MIDI note-off. (That is, it basically works the same as the MIDI / Quick Stop mode of Unify's Transport.)

Now comes the important part. You want the Audio File Player to start and stop only for a designated note, so I have set the INST2 layer's note-range to C5 (which happens to be the top note on the small MIDI keyboard I use on my development PC). Quick way to set this up: right-click both note-boxes so they each show "?", then play the note in question. At this point, the audio file will only start when you press C5, and will stop when you release it (whether or not the Transport is running / drums are playing). If you accidentally trigger the audio file too early, you can simply release C5 and hit it again at e.g. the start of the next measure, and the playback will begin again from the start of the file.

Of course, you probably don't want to have to hold down the C5 key to keep the audio playing, so in the screenshot I have also set the INST2 layer's trigger-mode to LM (mono latch), and activated the L (latch) button. This allows me to press and release C5 once to start the playback, and hit it again later to stop it (or just let the audio file play to the end, since "loop playback" is not checked). If I accidentally start too early, I must now hit C5 twice -- once to stop it, and then again to re-start at the appropriate time.

You can also use a similar latching trick to allow you to use a different key to start/stop the drums and Transport. This is described in detail in the Unify manual at https://pluginguru.net/unify/manual/doku.php?id=patch-recipes#latched_midi_playback_2midibox.

I don't expect all this to be a perfect solution for what you're trying to do, but at least it should get you closer. I'm very keen to carry this discussion further, to figure out what changes might possibly be needed to make this work in practical performance situations.

One final thought: the basic latching audio playback technique I've described can also be used on multiple layers, to play stems, and of course these multiple stem layers can be encapsulated in an embedded Unify instance. These can be combined with full-length MIDI files played with MIDIBox instances, to create entire song arrangements (e.g. for church), where you simply remove the layers for parts to be played live. To the best of my knowledge, no one has actually tried this yet, but again, I'm very keen to work with anyone who would like to do so, to work out the bugs!

mj_prod, JeremyH, terrybritton and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
praisetracks
(@praisetracks)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

@getdunne

I think I figured it out, WOOT!!!
So to check it out live, tune in later today ;^)

Simeon Amburgey

JeremyH liked
ReplyQuote
getdunne
(@getdunne)
Member Admin

Posted by: @praisetracks

@getdunne

I think I figured it out, WOOT!!!
So to check it out live, tune in later today ;^)

Oooh, I can't wait. What time?

JeremyH liked
ReplyQuote
praisetracks
(@praisetracks)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

@getdunne 

4:00 PM EST here:

https://youtu.be/5d3PMLjabKc

Simeon Amburgey

mschiff, mj_prod, JeremyH and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
SSquared
(@ssquared)

Cool.  I might try and check out your stream today.  I had the week off, picked up a bunch of new stuff and wanted to work on a song today, but will try to be there.  I set a reminder.

Ableton Live 10, Omnisphere, Native Instruments (Pianos), Spire, Diva, SynthMaster, Alchemy 1.55, Addictive Keys, Unify

ReplyQuote
mschiff
(@mschiff)

@praisetracks 

I just listened, and enjoyed it very much.

ReplyQuote
terrybritton
(@terrybritton)

@getdunne I've been playing with your audio player latching trick, and it is really fantastic as-is at the moment! A latch mode "Mono-Retrig" might be a nice touch, with the ability to set the start point in there too, I suppose, for usefulness in live performances.

Terry

getdunne liked
ReplyQuote
Share: