How do we make .guru files?
I'm working on a project with another Unify user who isn't very computer savvy. I have to guide him every time where to put the Unify patches and related MIDI files. It'd be so much easier if I could just send him a .guru file that he can just drag & drop into Unify. How can I make .guru files?
Shane's reply from an earlier post:
A .guru file is just a renamed .zip file, structured so that when it is unpacked in the main Unify data folder, all the zipped files will go into the right places. For a library, the MOST important thing is to create a dummy Libraries folder, put your patch-library folder inside, and then zip the dummy Libraries folder, NOT the patch-library folder.
Here are the steps (written for Mac; PC is very similar):
- Go to Unify’s main Libraries folder in the Mac Finder, and locate the sub-folder for YOUR patch library.
- Create a new sub-folder which is ALSO called Libraries, sibling to your patch library sub-folder.
- Drag your patch-library folder into this new Libraries sub-folder. (This is temporary.)
- Right-click the Libraries sub-folder and choose to compress it.
- Rename the compressed file as <your library name>.guru
- Move your original patch-library folder back out of the dummy Libraries sub-folder.
- Optionally, delete the now-empty Libraries sub-folder. (It’s harmless to leave it there, as long as it’s empty.)
There's a useful illustration in the Unify manual at https://pluginguru.net/unify/manual/doku.php?id=manual-guru-unpack#open_the_new_folder_and_unify_s_data_folder.
Thanks for your help, Patrick!
Just one more question... where do the MIDI Files go? Should they be a sub-folder of Libraries or of the Patches folder?
Under Unify's main Libraries folder, there should be one folder per library. Each of those library folders will always have a Patches folder (where the .unify files live), but may also have others including MIDI Files, Samples, Audio Files, Impulse Responses, and Media (where per-patch images live).
Have a look at the Unify Standard Library folder to get an idea about the expected structure.
Thanks Shane! It makes much more sense now. Can hardly wait to try it out! 😎
@robosax i got the demo of unify is awesome, will get full version soon. To make own guru file ,would be great since i do ambient music. I have ob xd and dexed and furly 800 and omnisphere2. 6 so then all library unify has is a killer. Will be exiting journy. To get knowing unify is deep.