Midibox Current position at top of Patch
Hey I was thinking about something that could be used for Visual aid for Playing live. Let's say I have several Layers that are different parts of a song. Each with their own groupings of Midiboxes, each Instrument layer having different lengths of Midi Files. This might even could be done as it's own midi effect that can be added at the top of the patch that would show a visual representation of where I'm at in the current layer so I might know when the next layer would becoming up. The last Unified reason patch I created has 63 layers divided up among 8 parts with various lengths of 8bars, 15 bars, 21 bars in part 8. Thought I'd just throw that out there.
That's a very interesting idea. Tell me if I have it right:
- You're thinking of a MIDI effect which is a little like PolyBox, in that it can selectively play different INST layers (or possibly groups of them, if assigned to the same MIDI channel)
- The main difference from PolyBox is that layers are selected based on the song position, using some kind of table or list e.g.
- Intro: Layer 1, play for 8 bars
- Verse 1: Layer 2, 16 bars
- Chorus: Layer 3, 16 bars
- This plug-in (let's call it SongBox) would feature a GUI to visualize the above list, with the current part highlighted, and some kind of position-indicator so you can tell when it's about to switch to the next part.
Any upvotes for this idea?
Seems like something that could be prototyped using Lua Protoplug, if anyone cares to try.
I could see that, I think mines a little more basic, but mostly just a visual Midi effect to show where the "Current" Set or parts of Midibox are playing in their length of Midi file.
So let's say I"m playing Part 1 on Note C1 Its showing that I've played bar 1 of 8, then when I hit the next key or in my case D1, It plays part 2 or "Verse" starting at 1 through 15 or whatever the length is for that set. Of course the option to be showing the Transport view is always the possibility but I do like to view the Instrument layers of the set so I can remember which part I'm playing by the LED being lit up for the active layer. Songbox would be a good name. Although it would be neat to have Songbox being able to have a set (or song) list of the parts as well as being able to take the key triggers for each part.
Protoplug is interesting. I'd definitely get lost in that. If I had more time on my hands, I'd definitely try to learn Juce. I guess I could get an audio book to listen to on the way to work and home. I could learn Juce in 17 hours of listening a week 😆 for several years.