My List of Unify Suggestions
Unify Feature Requests
Last Post by RobKastler 3 years ago
Topic starter April 23, 2020 12:25 am
Below is a list of suggestions I sent to John back when Unify was first released. I’m including it here to keep a record of them and to encourage any discussion on their merit or desirability.
- Allow display of MIDI Keyboard, Macros, and Transport panes simultaneously in any combination. Add the ability to pop these out into separate, non-modal windows. Retain display of these when switching to other pages of the main UI.
- Highlight the keys within the Show MIDI Keyboard pane that reflect the key range of the currently-selected layer.
- Retain display of Browse window open unless specifically closed. Many operations close the browser and don’t restore it. Saving Window Size, Listing Presets, Options, etc.all seem to the close Browser.
- Output MIDI feedback messages to MIDI-learned controls. Useful for displaying current macro values via LED rings on encoder controllers.
- Allow macros to be MIDI learned by more than one control so, for example, a macro can be changed by an encoder or expression pedal (whichever is closest) during performance
- Allow defining a collection of presets into a Performance Set where each preset can be assigned a numbered slot (1-128). Provide Up/Down as well as direct access to slots via MIDI Program Change message. Allow multiple Performance Sets to be stored and recalled from file system.
- Add a preference to “Use VST3 Plugin Version Only" when both the VST and VST3 variants of a plugin are available. This will prevent duplicate versions from being displayed for software such as Arturia Collection which includes VST and VST3 versions of each instrument.
- Make the INIT button a pop out a submenu with options to:
- Perform a normal Init as now.
- Clear instrument assignments without resetting the current patch’s layer structure.
- Select from a popout list of patch templates (currently done via the Template category in the Browser).
- Allow the ability to save a preset's layer structure (including MIDI and Effects plugins) as a Preset Template to work with previous suggestion.
- Show selectable lists of existing Categories, Tags, Authors and Instruments in the save dialog. This will prevent similar, (but not identical) from being accidentally created.
- Rename the “New Preset”, "Delete Preset”, and Rename Preset” buttons on the Plugin Subsets page to "New Subset", "Delete Subset" and "Rename Subset”.
- Increase number of assignable macro controls to 16 or 32. (suggested by others as well).
- Allow multiple audio out channels (also suggested by others).
- Allow MIDI Learn capability for various GUI elements. eg:
- Previous and Next Preset
- Cancel all Latched Notes.
- MIDI Panic
Comments and opinions welcome.
April 24, 2020 10:47 am
Great list with exceptionally useful ideas, danke karlfranz. I can surely live without pt7, but I hope all others make it near the top of Shane's list 😉
Cannot even make a ranking because all seem that useful ...
I'm not clear with pts 8/9 though, esp. pt9 - why not using a (normal) preset template from the browser and exchanging plugins ?