[Sticky] PlugInGuru Naming of Patches Guide
I was sent by Shane a Patch Naming guidelines document, written by user Kevin Giehl (@klight). I have worked through it and made several updates. If you have wondered about the logic behind the patch names, have a look at this 6 page document:
Enjoy and I'm open to altering or filing in if this is missing anything.
- John Lehmkuhl
[edited 5 Mar 2021 by Shane, to give credit to original author @klight.]
Life is Sound / Sound is Divine
Well nice to see your brain documented in a small way. I had to learn these via osmosis or you telling me direct. Learned a few new things after all these years. Thanks
this is so helpful when sorting a lot of patches that aren't categorized.
Thank you for all your hard work and experience!
Greetings and God bless, Marius
I love this! This is what VIP should have been. Some questions:
- There is an MPE category, but MPE does not describe a sound. So it's not for the name but as an extra tag, right? For instance, the SWAM Cello is actually a STR sound. I would name it "STR - SWAM Cello", and then use MPE as a tag.
- There is BPM ORGAN but not ORGAN
- There is BPM LEAD but not LEAD
- There is BPM CHORD but not CHORD
- Should there be a VOCODER category?
I made a suggestion here to develop this further by 1) using Category only for the categories described here (i.e. instruments), 2) adding a Timbre tag to describe sounds in exclusive pairs (e.g., bright vs dark), and 3) add a Style tag to describe properties such as Acoustic, Ambient and Analog. I would be happy to help develop these tags.